In this episode, Lawrence Cohen joins me on the show to talk about how play and roughhousing can help you in your parenting.
We talk about everything from why we need to be playful, to aggression, to calming our kids down, and incorporating more fun and play into our days.
Lawrence J. Cohen, PhD, is a psychologist and the author of Playful Parenting and The Opposite of Worry. His newest book is Unplug and Play: The Illustrated Guide to Roughhousing with Your Kids, co-authored with Anthony Debenedet.
- [5:50] How Lawrence got into this work, and about his new book
- [6:45] The importance of roughhousing
- [8:15] How Lawrence became a more playful parent
- [11:15] Advice for parents who shy away from roughhousing and play
- [19:20] Having ‘personal agency’
- [21:20] Building self-determination of risk
- [25:45] The Knot of Tension concept
- [28:50] Handing unsavory behavior when it comes to play
- [35:00] Responding to aggression with playfulness
- [41:10] When ‘play’ turns aggressive
- [45:50] Tips for getting play to stop
- [49:35] What to do when your kid swears
- [54:20] Lawrence’s advice to his younger parent self
Episode #103: Playful Parenting with Lawrence Cohen
Download the episode transcript HERE
Resources mentioned in this episode
- Free ‘How to Stop Yelling’ Course: www.sarahrosensweet.com/yelling
- Join us on Patreon: www.patreon.com/peacefulparenting
- The Opposite of Worry by Lawrence Cohen: https://amzn.to/3LFgyLI
- Playful Parenting: https://amzn.to/427erpu
- Unplug and Play by Lawrence Cohen: https://amzn.to/3AJzByl
Connect with Lawrence
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/Larrycohenplayfulparenting
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/Larjack1
- Website: www.playfulparenting.com
Connect with Sarah Rosensweet
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sarahrosensweet/
- Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/peacefulparentingfreegroup
- Website: https://www.sarahrosensweet.com
- Book a short consult or coaching session call: https://book-with-sarah-rosensweet.as.me/schedule.php
Want your question answered on the Peaceful Parenting Podcast?
Please record your question. Your recording may be played on the podcast. You will be asked for your name and email. This is only for me! I will only use your first initial if I answer your question on the podcast.
Want some more support?
Book a free short consult with me.
You can also join our free Peaceful Parenting Facebook group.
How To Stop Yelling At Your Kids
Do you want to learn how to stop yelling at your kids? Sign up for my e-course! You get all the tools and support you need to be the parent you want to be and enjoy your kids again!