In this episode, Linda Murphy joins me to discuss how to develop better communication between kids and parents.
Linda is a speech language pathologist and RDI® Consultant. She co-founded Peer Projects Therapy From the Heart, a clinic in Beverly, MA dedicated to helping kids and families by using a positive, thoughtful communication style that emphasizes understanding, patience, respect, and kindness. Linda has been working with individuals with social learning differences for over 25 years.
- [3:15] How Linda got into this work
- [4:40] What is declarative language
- [10:40] What happens when a person is given a command
- [14:55] Different strategies for kids who are rigid thinkers
- [18:35] Giving kids processing time
- [20:50] The balance between alternative thinking vs. giving kids notice of things changing
- [25:30] Acknowledging the ‘communication dance’
- [28:40] Strategies for modeling ‘black and white thinking’
- [32:05] Voicing your moments of flexibility to help your kids
- [34:00] What we can do as parents to help our kids to not be afraid of making mistakes
- [38:55] Examples of declarative language vs. imperative language
- [45:00] Advice to her younger parent self
She leads trainings on the topic of social learning, has authored Declarative Language Handbook, Co-Regulation Handbook, numerous articles, and co-authored the book Social Thinking and Me with Michelle Garcia Winner. Linda lives north of Boston with her husband and their two busy lovable boys.
Episode #108: How to Develop Better Communication with Your Kids with Linda Murphy
Download the episode transcript HERE
Resources mentioned in this episode
- Free ‘How to Stop Yelling’ Course: www.sarahrosensweet.com/yelling
- Join us on Patreon: www.patreon.com/peacefulparenting
- Parent Workshops: https://www.declarativelanguage.com/8-week-workshops
- Trainings for educators: https://www.declarativelanguage.com/trainings-for-professionals
Connect with Linda
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/declarativelanguage/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100057683280110
- Blog: https://www.declarativelanguage.com/sunday-snippets-of-support
- Website: https://www.declarativelanguage.com/
Connect with Sarah Rosensweet
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sarahrosensweet/
- Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/peacefulparentingfreegroup
- Website: https://www.sarahrosensweet.com
- Book a short consult or coaching session call: https://book-with-sarah-rosensweet.as.me/schedule.php
Want your question answered on the Peaceful Parenting Podcast?
Please record your question. Your recording may be played on the podcast. You will be asked for your name and email. This is only for me! I will only use your first initial if I answer your question on the podcast.
Want some more support?
Book a free short consult with me.
You can also join our free Peaceful Parenting Facebook group.
How To Stop Yelling At Your Kids
Do you want to learn how to stop yelling at your kids? Sign up for my e-course! You get all the tools and support you need to be the parent you want to be and enjoy your kids again!