In this episode, Dr. Alok Kanojia joins me to discuss video games and healthy gaming for our kiddos.
Dr. Kanojia is a Harvard-trained psychiatrist specializing in the intersection of technology x mental health. Also known as ”Dr. K” to millions of people on the internet, Dr. Kanojia is the co-founder of Healthy Gamer, a mental health platform that serves the gaming community.
He has inspired millions of people with online content while overseeing the mental health coaching of thousands of young people. He is widely regarded as the foremost expert on video game addiction and most prominent mental health authority for young people. When he’s offline, he’s usually traveling, gardening, or grilling with his family.
- [3:05] Dr. K’s background in this space
- [4:45] Video games for enjoyment vs. addiction
- [6:15] What is healthy gaming?
- [7:40] The brain on ‘gaming addiction’
- [10:35] Does TV/screen time fulfill the same dopamine hit?
- [12:25] How screens give the temporary appearance of regulation
- [13:35] The impulse to check our phones
- [15:15] Why kids meltdown each time the screen is taken away
- [22:20] What kids can do instead of screen time
- [27:10] Approaching conversations about this with your kids
- [32:00] Guidelines for gaming in a healthy way
- [37:00] Types of games to avoid
- [41:25] The problem with multiplayer games
- [44:00] Helping promote the balance of friends in life versus online
Episode #113: Healthy Gaming with Dr. Alok Kanojia
Download the episode transcript HERE
Resources mentioned in this episode
- Free ‘How to Stop Yelling’ Course: www.sarahrosensweet.com/yelling
- Join us on Patreon: www.patreon.com/peacefulparenting
- Course: www.sarahrosensweet.com/parentingcourse
Connect withDr. Alok
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/healthygamergg/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/dr_alokkanojia
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/healthygamer_gg/
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/healthy-gamer/
- Other: https://wa.me/message/S4EVN3BAM4TXE1
- Website: https://www.healthygamer.gg
Connect with Sarah Rosensweet
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sarahrosensweet/
- Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/peacefulparentingfreegroup
- Website: https://www.sarahrosensweet.com
- Book a short consult or coaching session call: https://book-with-sarah-rosensweet.as.me/schedule.php
Want your question answered on the Peaceful Parenting Podcast?
Please record your question. Your recording may be played on the podcast. You will be asked for your name and email. This is only for me! I will only use your first initial if I answer your question on the podcast.
Want some more support?
Book a free short consult with me.
You can also join our free Peaceful Parenting Facebook group.
How To Stop Yelling At Your Kids
Do you want to learn how to stop yelling at your kids? Sign up for my e-course! You get all the tools and support you need to be the parent you want to be and enjoy your kids again!