In this episode, Dr. Devorah Heitner joins me to talk about raising kids in the era of technology, and different tools and strategies to implement, all while continuing to respect their privacy.
Dr. Heitner is the author of Screenwise: Helping Kids Thrive (and Survive) in Their Digital World and her book on navigating Privacy and Reputation with kids and teens, Growing Up in Public will be out in 2023 with Penguin Random House.
Her work has appeared in the New York Times, The Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal, and CNN Opinion. She has a Ph.D. in Media/Technology & Society from Northwestern University and has taught at DePaul and Northwestern. She is delighted to be raising her own teenager and she lives with her family in Chicagoland.
- [2:55] Screenwise and Growing Up In Public
- [9:50] Are there ways to track your kids without using phones
- [11:50] Tracking kids over the age of 18
- [13:00] When and why kids should get a phone
- [17:25] Her philosophy on mentoring kids vs. monitoring kids
- [21:20] How to do this without invading on our kids’ privacy
- [24:10] Setting screen-free boundaries for kids without killing their social life
- [28:00] Navigating school devices and wanting to have screen time limits
- [31:15] Tracking your kids’ grades
- [36:15] Advice she would give to her younger parent self
Episode #118: Raising Kids in the Era of Technology with Devorah Heitner
Download the episode transcript HERE
Resources mentioned in this episode
- Free ‘How to Stop Yelling’ Course: www.sarahrosensweet.com/yelling
- Join us on Patreon: www.patreon.com/peacefulparenting
- Newsletter: www.sarahrosensweet.com/newsletter
Growing Up in Public: https://amzn.to/3OZNe4o
Connect with Devorah
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/DevorahHeitner
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/devorahheitnerphd/
- Website: www.devorahheitner.com
Connect with Sarah Rosensweet
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sarahrosensweet/
- Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/peacefulparentingfreegroup
- Website: https://www.sarahrosensweet.com
- Book a short consult or coaching session call: https://book-with-sarah-rosensweet.as.me/schedule.php
Want your question answered on the Peaceful Parenting Podcast?
Please record your question. Your recording may be played on the podcast. You will be asked for your name and email. This is only for me! I will only use your first initial if I answer your question on the podcast.
Want some more support?
Book a free short consult with me.
You can also join our free Peaceful Parenting Facebook group.
How To Stop Yelling At Your Kids
Do you want to learn how to stop yelling at your kids? Sign up for my e-course! You get all the tools and support you need to be the parent you want to be and enjoy your kids again!