In this episode, Rachel Harrington and Jessica Hill join me to talk about all things sensory processing disorder.
Rachel, COTA/L, AC and Jessica, COTA/L are two passionate Certified Occupational Therapy Assistants and the hosts of the popular podcast, All Things Sensory. Their podcast, digital courses, YouTube, and blog on Harkla.co covers topics related to sensory processing disorder, special needs, parenting, and topics related to child development and health.
- [4:00] Who Rachel and Jessica are
- [6:15] What is sensory processing disorder?
- [8:15] Our 3 hidden senses
- [11:20] Sensory challenges that come with going to the bathroom
- [13:35] Triggers with taking a bath
- [16:11] Common triggers you may not know are sensory challenges
- [17:45] Oral seeking
- [19:15] Picky eating
- [26:30] Sensory integration and OT evaluation
- [29:30] Adopting a sensory diet
- [34:20] Noticing what your child needs
- [37:30] Tips for parents who struggle getting kids dressed
- [41:50] Knowing this isn’t a choice your kids are making
- [45:05] Advice to their younger parent selves
With over 9 years of clinical experience, Rachel and Jessica are on a mission to help parents, educators, and therapists raise strong and confident children, no matter their abilities. They are passionate about taking clinical topics (such as Sensory Processing Disorder, primitive reflexes, sensory diets, and more) and breaking them down in a way that is actionable for anyone to benefit from.
Episode #122: All Things Sensory Processing Disorder with Rachel Harrington and Jessica Hill
Download the episode transcript HERE
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Free ‘How to Stop Yelling’ Course: www.sarahrosensweet.com/yelling
- Join us on Patreon: www.patreon.com/peacefulparenting
- Newsletter: www.sarahrosensweet.com/newsletter
- Summit: www.sarahrosensweet.com/summit
Connect with Rachel and Jessica
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/harklaproducts/
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/allthingssensorypodcast
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/harkla_family
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/melindawennermoyer
Connect with Sarah Rosensweet
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sarahrosensweet/
- Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/peacefulparentingfreegroup
- Website: https://www.sarahrosensweet.com
- Book a short consult or coaching session call: https://book-with-sarah-rosensweet.as.me/schedule.php
Want your question answered on the Peaceful Parenting Podcast?
Please record your question. Your recording may be played on the podcast. You will be asked for your name and email. This is only for me! I will only use your first initial if I answer your question on the podcast.
Want some more support?
Book a free short consult with me.
You can also join our free Peaceful Parenting Facebook group.
How To Stop Yelling At Your Kids
Do you want to learn how to stop yelling at your kids? Sign up for my e-course! You get all the tools and support you need to be the parent you want to be and enjoy your kids again!