Imagine going through life always wondering why it was so hard to “fit in”.
My guest this week is Kristy Forbes, and she shares with us how she was diagnosed with autism at the age of 33. As you’ll hear in our conversation, this was a life-changing moment for Kristy in terms of understanding why she had certain tendencies.
Kristy Forbes is an Australia based autism & neurodiversity support specialist with experience working with a range of clients both nationally and internationally.
Her work is informed by her extensive professional experience as an educator (Early Childhood, Primary and Secondary teaching), as an integration aide to children with social, emotional and behavioural differences, and as a childhood behavioural and family specialist.
Her most valuable insights, however, come from lived experience. Kristy is autistic herself and also diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and Pathological Demand Avoidance (PDA).
She is a mother to four autistic children, ranging from 7 years to 23 years, all with varying autistic expression including non-speaking and PDA.
Listen in as we talk about:
- The definition of autism that Kristy embraces
- Why functioning labels are more harmful than helpful
- Tips to become a more inclusive person and create a more inclusive society
- Why parents can be fearful of telling their children that they’re autistic
- What neurotypical parents can do to help their neurodiverse children
- Key information we all should learn about understanding what it’s like living with autism
Episode #27: Understanding Autism with Kristy Forbes
Download the episode transcript HERE
Resources mentioned in this episode
- Kristy’s blog post
- Join the inTune Access Support: Family Collective
- Reframing Autism
- The Autistic Advocate
Connect with Kristy
Connect with Sarah Rosensweet
- On Instagram
- On Facebook
- Book a short consult or coaching session call
Want some more support?
Book a free short consult with me.
You can also join our free Peaceful Parenting Facebook group.
How To Stop Yelling At Your Kids
Do you want to learn how to stop yelling at your kids? Sign up for my e-course! You get all the tools and support you need to be the parent you want to be and enjoy your kids again!
WOW! Thank you so much – I learnt so much in this podcast. I have just followed Kristy on FB and I think I will need to re-listen to this to really absorb everything she shared. Thanks so much!