How do we talk to our kids about sex? For some parents, this topic can be very uncomfortable, but it doesn’t have to be.
In fact, our kids need to learn about sex, their bodies, and how it all works – it’s so important!
Joining me for this conversation is Amy Lang, MA, who has been a sexual health educator for over 25 years. With her lively, engaging, and down-to-earth style, she helps parents become their kid’s go-to ‘birds and bees’ source. Amy’s books, online solutions center and podcast, Just Say This! show parents that talking about sexuality doesn’t need to be totally uncomfortable and really can be fun.
- When to start talking to your kids about sex
- Why talking to kids about sex is really important to keep them safe
- Why we need to use the proper words and terminology when it comes to consent and body parts
- What makes people so afraid of teenagers having sex
- How to start talking about sex when you don’t know where to start
Amy also provides childhood sexual development and sexual abuse prevention training for early childhood and youth serving organizations. Amy is still married to her first husband and they are getting the hang of parenting their recently launched man-child. She lives in Seattle WA and you can learn more about her work at BirdsAndBeesAndKids.com
Episode #39: How Do We Talk to Kids About Sex? with Amy Lang
Download the episode transcript HERE
Resources mentioned in this episode
- Girls & Sex Peggy Orenstein
- Boys & Sex Peggy Orenstein
- It’s Perfectly Normal by Robie Harris and Michael Emberley
- What’s Happening to Me? by Peter Mayle
- The Every Body Book by Rachel Simon
- Amy’s Recommended Books and Resources
- Birds & Bees Solutions Center: one-stop-shop for sex talking
- BARK monitoring and parental controls
- RAINN.org for support for abuse survivors
- Consent is like tea video
Connect with Amy
Connect with Sarah Rosensweet
- On Instagram
- On Facebook
- Book a short consult or coaching session call
Want some more support?
Book a free short consult with me.
You can also join our free Peaceful Parenting Facebook group.
How To Stop Yelling At Your Kids
Do you want to learn how to stop yelling at your kids? Sign up for my e-course! You get all the tools and support you need to be the parent you want to be and enjoy your kids again!