How do we help kids with their big feelings? Of course we empathize first, but then what? How do we help them calm down? If you need a bit of support in this area, you will love this really wonderful conversation with Janine Halloran about coping strategies for kids.
This episode has so many actionable strategies that you can take away and use the next time your child is having a hard time.
Janine Halloran is a Licensed Mental Health Counselor who has been working with children, teens, and their families for 20 years. She has been helping children and teens build their coping skills throughout her career in a variety of settings, including schools, mental health clinics and in her private practice.
- When kids need coping strategies
- The five types of coping strategies Janine talks about in her work
- How to use Janine’s coping strategies checklist
- What to do when your child doesn’t want to use any of their preferred coping mechanisms
- The feelings thermometer
Janine is the author of several books, including the bestselling Coping Skills for Kids Workbook and the Coping Skills for Teens Workbook. Her work has been featured in the Boston Globe, CNN, Huffington Post, and The Skimm® Newsletter. Janine lives in Massachusetts with her husband and two children.
Episode #41: Healthy Coping Strategies for Kids with Janine Halloran
Download the episode transcript HERE
Resources mentioned in this episode
- Free Coping Skills Printables
- Free Encourage Play Printables
- Download: Coping Strategies Checklist and Feelings Thermometer
- Get 20% off in the Coping Skills for Kids Store
Connect with Janine Halloran
- On Instagram
- Calm and Connected Podcast with Janine Halloran
Connect with Sarah Rosensweet
- On Instagram
- On Facebook
- Book a short consult or coaching session call
Want some more support?
Book a free short consult with me.
You can also join our free Peaceful Parenting Facebook group.
How To Stop Yelling At Your Kids
Do you want to learn how to stop yelling at your kids? Sign up for my e-course! You get all the tools and support you need to be the parent you want to be and enjoy your kids again!