In this episode, we talk about how to overcome picky eating. This is a challenge a lot of parents face – how to get their kids to eat without being so picky!
Joining me for this conversation is Jennifer House, who has been a Registered Dietitian for 16 years. She has owned First Step Nutrition for the past 13 years, where she helps to make feeding families easier, with a focus on Baby-led Weaning and Picky Eating. Jennifer has published two books and regularly appears in the media.
- [3:40] This episode’s case study
- [7:10] Why it’s okay for our kids’ appetites to fluctuate
- [9:00] The Division of Responsibility by Ellyn Satter
- [14:35] The kids’ responsibility when it comes to eating
- [18:25] Intuitive eating for kids
- [19:00] How to spot the difference between sensory processing challenges and picky eating
- [33:50] Why kids are picky to begin with
- [40:00] Advice parents need to know when it comes to picky eating
Jen earned her BSc in Nutrition & Food Science from the University of Alberta, and before starting First Step Nutrition, she completed an MSc in Human Nutrition from the University of British Columbia. She also worked at the Alberta Children’s Hospital in outpatient services, often seeing clients with Failure to Thrive or picky eating struggles.
Having a picky eater of her own, Jennifer can relate to the stress and struggles of raising a kid who just won’t try new foods! She has helped hundreds of families implement Ellyn Satter’s Division of Responsibility of feeding in their homes with personal consults and team feeding consults in partnership with an Occupational Therapist. She now works with clients online in a group coaching program to support them in making mealtimes more peaceful with a picky eater at the table.
Episode #49: How to Overcome Picky Eating with Jennifer House
Download the episode transcript HERE
Resources mentioned in this episode
Connect with Jennifer House
- On Instagram
- On Twitter
- On LinkedIn
- On Facebook
- Free On-Demand Webinar: “How to teach your kids to finally try new foods….without yelling or making separate meals”
Connect with Sarah Rosensweet
- On Instagram
- On Facebook
- On YouTube
- Book a short consult or coaching session call
Want your question answered on the Peaceful Parenting Podcast?
Please record your question. Your recording may be played on the podcast. You will be asked for your name and email. This is only for me! I will only use your first initial if I answer your question on the podcast.
Want some more support?
Book a free short consult with me.
You can also join our free Peaceful Parenting Facebook group.
How To Stop Yelling At Your Kids
Do you want to learn how to stop yelling at your kids? Sign up for my e-course! You get all the tools and support you need to be the parent you want to be and enjoy your kids again!