How much sleep do tweens and teens need? Are they getting enough? How do we help them get more?
It’s no secret that our kids lead busy lives– between schoolwork, activities, volunteering, and more, how can we ensure our kids get enough sleep?
Joining me for this conversation about our teens and sleep is Heather Turgeon and Julie Wright, psychotherapists and sleep specialists.
- [3:30] An inside look at their new book, Generation Sleepless
- [4:35] The big dangers of our teenagers not getting enough sleep
- [7:35] The impact of social media on sleep
- [9:00] The learning challenges that come from lack of sleep
- [11:10] How to get your kids on board in changing their sleep habits
- [19:25] The importance of modeling what’s important and helping kids who have a hard time with priorities
- [29:50] Tips for parents who are struggling with getting their kids to sleep
They are authors of the popular parenting book, The Happy Sleeper. Their work has appeared in outlets like the New York Times and NPR. Their new book is called, Generation Sleepless: Why tweens and teens aren’t sleeping enough, and how we can help them.
Episode #54: How to Help Kids Get More Sleep with Heather Turgeon and Julie Wright, Sleep Experts
Download the episode transcript HERE
Resources mentioned in this episode
- The Happy Sleeper by Heather Turgeon and Julie Wright
- Generation Sleepless by Heather Turgeon and Julie Wright
- The Self-Driven Child by Dr. William Stixrud and Ned Johnson
- Staying Connected to Your Teenager by Michael Riera
Connect with Heather and Julie
Connect with Sarah Rosensweet
- On Instagram
- On Facebook
- On YouTube
- Book a short consult or coaching session call
Want your question answered on the Peaceful Parenting Podcast?
Please record your question. Your recording may be played on the podcast. You will be asked for your name and email. This is only for me! I will only use your first initial if I answer your question on the podcast.
Want some more support?
Book a free short consult with me.
You can also join our free Peaceful Parenting Facebook group.
How To Stop Yelling At Your Kids
Do you want to learn how to stop yelling at your kids? Sign up for my e-course! You get all the tools and support you need to be the parent you want to be and enjoy your kids again!