In this episode, I sit down with Dr. Stuart Shanker to understand our children’s challenging behaviour. We discuss why children act the way they do sometimes and what we can do about it.
Dr. Shanker explains the 5 domains or areas where stress shows up in our and our children’s lives. We discuss how we can be ‘stress detectives’ to help reduce challenging behaviour.
Dr. Stuart Shanker is the author of the Self-Reg trilogy: Calm, Alert and Learning: Classroom Strategies for Self-Regulation, Self-Reg: How to Help Your Child (and You) Break the Stress Cycle and Successfully Engage with Life; Reframed: Self-Reg for a Just Society.
In 2012 Stuart founded The MEHRIT Centre as a Self-Reg learning and information centre for parents, educators, the leaders of today and the leaders of tomorrow. In this challenging time in which we are living, Self-Reg inspires what is most desperately needed: a profound sense of hope for the future.
- [4:45] Why misbehavior is stressed behavior
- [9:10] The difference between self control and self regulation
- [12:50] The 5 categories of stressors
- [23:00] Is misbehavior intentional?
- [30:00] Tips for parents to help reduce stressors
- [42:00] Biggest stressors parents are faced with today
- [44:10] Spirited kids vs. stressed out kids
- [50:30] Why there’s an uptake in sensory issues
- [54:00] Dr. Shanker’s advice to his younger parent self
The goal of The MEHRIT Centre is to provide parents and educators around the world with the tools needed to raise healthy and vibrant children; and to provide adults and seniors with a powerful method for enhancing their own well being.
Episode #78: Understanding Challenging Behaviour with Dr. Stuart Shanker
Download the episode transcript HERE
Resources mentioned in this episode
- Leave your questions here: https://www.sarahrosensweet.com/podcast/
- Free Stop Yelling Course: https://www.sarahrosensweet.com/yelling/
- Patreon: www.patreon.com/peacefulparenting
- Self-Reg Infosheet for Parents: https://self-reg.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/infosheet_SelfRegParents.pdf
- Self-Reg Book written by Dr. Stuart Shanker: https://shop.self-reg.ca/collections/all/products/self-reg-how-to-help-your-child-and-you-break-the-stress-cycle-and-successfully-engage-with-life
- Blog written by Dr. Stuart Shanker: https://self-reg.ca/no-such-thing-as-a-bad-kid/
Connect with Dr. Shanker
Connect with Sarah Rosensweet
- On Instagram
- On Facebook
- On YouTube
- Book a short consult or coaching session call
Want your question answered on the Peaceful Parenting Podcast?
Please record your question. Your recording may be played on the podcast. You will be asked for your name and email. This is only for me! I will only use your first initial if I answer your question on the podcast.
Want some more support?
Book a free short consult with me.
You can also join our free Peaceful Parenting Facebook group.
How To Stop Yelling At Your Kids
Do you want to learn how to stop yelling at your kids? Sign up for my e-course! You get all the tools and support you need to be the parent you want to be and enjoy your kids again!