In this episode, Celeste and Jen join me on the podcast to talk about supporting LGBTQ kids, specifically if you’re part of a religion or way of living that does not affirm them.
Celeste is the executive director of Mama Dragons, which was created by Gina Crivello. Gina gathered a small group of Latter-Day Saints (Mormon) mothers together as they navigated supporting their LGBTQ children in a culture that was not affirming.
Since then, Mama Dragons has grown to become a leader in affirming parent education and offers support to more than 9,000 members worldwide.
- [6:50] What is Mama Dragons
- [11:50] How Jen found out her son was gay, and what she did to navigate it
- [15:20] The physical effects of coming out of ‘fight, flight of freeze’ mode
- [19:10] The difference affirming parents make, and how you can affirm a child
- [22:10] Parenting practices to adopt
- [24:30] What Jen wishes she knew about raising a gay son
- [26:30] What Jen has learned working with Mama Dragons
- [29:10] The impact of growing up in a religious setting
- [31:50] The importance of doing your own research and not getting caught up in misinformation
- [33:10] Why people so threatened by the idea of LGBTQ people
- [38:35] Advice both Celeste and Jen would give to their younger parent self
Episode #88: Supporting LGBTQ Kids with Celeste and Jen of Mama Dragons
Download the episode transcript HERE
Resources mentioned in this episode
- Free ‘How to Stop Yelling’ Course: www.sarahrosensweet.com/yelling
- Join us on Patreon: www.patreon.com/peacefulparenting
- Learning program Parachute – https://parachute.mamadragons.org/
- Get free Parachute courses using the code PEACEFULPARENTING
Connect with Sarah Rosensweet
- On Instagram
- On Facebook
- On YouTube
- Book a short consult or coaching session call
Want your question answered on the Peaceful Parenting Podcast?
Please record your question. Your recording may be played on the podcast. You will be asked for your name and email. This is only for me! I will only use your first initial if I answer your question on the podcast.
Want some more support?
Book a free short consult with me.
You can also join our free Peaceful Parenting Facebook group.
How To Stop Yelling At Your Kids
Do you want to learn how to stop yelling at your kids? Sign up for my e-course! You get all the tools and support you need to be the parent you want to be and enjoy your kids again!