- listens in an empathic and NEUTRAL! way, without judgement, while comforting the upset boys
- gets both boys’ stories
- asks, “What can we do now to solve the problem?”
- restates: “You want both of these guys and he wants one.”
- asks the older boy to suggest his possible solution to his brother
- asks the younger brother if that works for him
- tells the older brother to come for help next time instead of hurting his brother
I love seeing this approach in action!
The boys in this video look like they are used to this method. It won’t be this easy at first, but if you keep trying your children will know that you will Be Switzerland and help them find Win/Win Solutions. They will come to trust that everyone gets listened to and heard without interruption and with empathy, and that you will help them find a solution that works for everyone. And as they grow, they will be able to do this without you.
Get your *free* ‘Stop Sibling Fights’ e-book.
Sign up below and I will send you my *free* e-book, Stop Sibling Fighting. I’ll also add you to my newsletter list. I share parenting wisdom via your inbox a few times a month. And don’t worry, I will never share your email address and you can unsubscribe at any time.
How To Stop Yelling At Your Kids
Do you want to learn how to stop yelling at your kids? Sign up for my free e-course! You get all the tools and support you need to be the parent you want to be and enjoy your kids again!